Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information and offers.
United Airlines just launched a Pacific award sale. For the next three days, you can book transpacific economy flights starting at just 40,000 miles each way (plus taxes and fees starting at $38.95 round trip).
Routes: All mainland U.S. airports to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, Australia; Tahiti, French Polynesia; Tokyo and Osaka, Japan; Auckland; Singapore; and Taiwan
How to book: Directly with the airline
Travel dates: Select travel dates between Aug. 17 and Dec. 10
Book by: Aug. 19 by 11:59 p.m. CT
Unfortunately, the carrier’s highest anticipated new Pacific routes, including San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport (MNL), have been excluded from the sale.
Before the worldwide United MileagePlus devaluation earlier this year, the airline charged 40,000 miles for these one-way saver economy-class awards. However, the devaluation increased these rates to 55,000 miles without notice.
The promotion allows you to book the pre-devaluation award rate of 40,000 miles one-way in economy class, which saves 30,000 miles off the price of the post-devaluation, round-trip awards.
Now, here’s a look at the award space. If you’re wondering about special member pricing, refer to this post.
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) to Tahiti’s Faa’a International Airport (PPT)
Washington D.C.’s Dulles International Airport (IAD) to Melbourne Airport (MEL)
Orlando International Airport (MCO) to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (TPE)
Denver International Airport (DEN) to Singapore Changi Airport (SIN)
Maximize your purchase
Use a credit card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year
- Citi Prestige® Card: 5 points per dollar on airfare
- Citi Premier® Card (see rates and fees): 3 points per dollar on airfare
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: 3 points per dollar on airfare
- American Express® Gold Card: 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 2 points per dollar on travel
See this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
If you’re ready to plan a trip across the Pacific by Dec. 10, this award sale can be a great way to maximize United miles.
For reference, the round-trip East Coast to Australia flights cost around $3,000. By using 80,000 United miles, you’ll be getting close to 4 cents per mile — roughly quadruple our valuation of United miles. You can always cancel and redeposit your miles if something comes up, but just be sure to make your flight reservations by Saturday.
- 6 things you need to know about United Airlines MileagePlus
- The best credit cards for United Airlines flyers
- What is United Airlines elite status worth?
- Maximize your airfare: The best credit cards for booking flights
- The best credit cards to reach elite status
- How to survive basic economy on United Airlines